Coming of Age 2023-2024
Coming of Age (COA) is primarily for 9th graders. COA is similar to confirmation or a bar/bat mitzvah. The youth spend 9 months learning about the great religious questions, Unitarian Universalism, and exploring their own beliefs and values. The year culminates with a Coming of Age worship service where the youth share their credos (belief statements) with the congregation In June the Coming of Age youth will take a UU pilgrimage trip to Boston. Coming of Age is a commitment of time and presence but the rewards of the program come from full participation. It is an optional program and youth need to actually want to participate in the program for it to be rewarding for them.. So we don't recommend forcing reluctant kids take Coming of Age.
Calendar and Time Commitment:
- Class -- twice a month meetings. Usually 1st and 3rd Sundays September - May, from 6:00-8:00 PM with dinner from 6-6:30 PM.
- Service Rehearsal -- Mid May
- Coming of Age Service-- Sunday May 19, 2024
- Boston Heritage Trip--T.B.D. Probably June 19-23 2024
- Fundraising. See Boston Heritage Trip -- In order to make the Boston Trip affordable, youth and their families are asked to help selling football and basketball parking for UNC home games in the church parking lot. We ask for a commitment of at least 2 games.
Boston Trip : The trip will be scheduled for June. Probably June19-23, 2024. The youth have typically have an amazing time on this culminating trip of the year. The exact cost of the trip per person is is still to be determined but it will be approximately. $400 per youth, plus $200 for food on the trip. (this cost could change depending on our ability to fundraise). If you can not afford this then let Marion Hirsch know. We do not want cost to be an impediment.
Fund raising Obviously $400 does not begin to cover the cost of a 5 day trip to a major city. The rest of the cost of the trip is covered by fund raising. The youth and families have to participate in fund raising. Fall Football parking usually raises about $3000. And then we will have basketball fund raising event in the spring. We expect both youth and parents to sell parking for at least one football game and a basketball game One UNC football game (9/2, 9/16. 10/7, 10/14, 10/21, 11/4, 11/11) and some basketball parking (dates TBA)
Leadership of Class: Marion Hirsch, Director of Religious Education
For more information contact:
Marion Hirsch, Director of Lifespan Religious Education
dre @ c3huu.org