Insch Church Youth Leadership Program Description
1. To nurture and develop youth leadership in our church.
2. To honor and remember Sarah Elizabeth Insch, a life-long Unitarian Universalist and a deeply dedicated church leader in our congregation.
The Insch Church Youth Leadership Program is a leadership program for the High School Youth of the Community Church of Chapel Hill Unitarian Universalist. The program offers a structured opportunity for youth to participate in church leadership by participating in concrete and satisfying ways. Through this program, youth build connections with the congregation and are able to give back to their church community. These connections also support their becoming lifelong Unitarian Universalists. The program also provides youth the opportunity to mentor other church youth in their leadership experience. The Insch Church Youth Leadership Program offers five leadership tracks:
1. Worship Associate
As a Worship Associate, the youth leader will be trained as a Worship Associate, attend monthly meetings of the Worship and Arts Committee, and serve as a Worship Associate on Sunday mornings. Worship Associates work with the Parish Minister to provide meaningful Sunday morning services. This is for youth who enjoy worship and like public speaking and would like to learn how worship is created.
2. Youth Ministry Associate
The Youth Ministry Associate would represent the High School Youth Group on the monthly Youth Ministry Team and serve on the Leadership Team for the High School Youth Group. This is for youth who are interested in the Youth Program.
3. Children’s Ministry Associate
This is for youth interested in the Children’s Ministry Program. They will attend the monthly Children’s Ministry Team meeting.
4. Board Associate
This is an opportunity for youth to be part of the church board and learn how the church is governed and get to know church leaders and our minister.
5. Other Associate
This is an opportunity for youth to join another ministry of the church, like the ECO Ministry or Sanctuary Ministry. This is only available for ministries who have space and interest in having an Insch Associate.
1. The program is open to Sophomores, Juniors or Seniors. Youth participate in the program for at at least one academic year, depending on when they start.
2. Youth will attend monthly meetings over a twelve-month period for at least one academic year, longer if they choose. The details of the commitment depend upon which Associate position a youth chooses. Youth are allowed miss up to four scheduled meetings, depending upon the timing across the year.
3. Youth will attend an Insch leadership orientation when they start the program and meet monthly with the other Insch Associates.
4. Youth will undertake a significant project as part of the program relating to the area they are working in.
5. At the end youth will present a reflection on their experience as an Insch Associate. The presentation can be oral, written, or both.
Selection and Application Process:
Youth will go through a formal application process with a letter of intent and a letter of recommendation. There will be an Insch Church Youth Leadership Program selection committee of three church members, likely chosen from the Coming of Age mentors and the Youth Programming Committee members. Parents of nominees may not serve on the selection committee. The DRE is an ex-officio member of the committee.
Funding and Scholarship Award:
Funding will come from designated donations and proposed Share-the-Plate collections. Youth who complete the program will receive a scholarship for funding while they are in high school to participate in summer UU or other leadership opportunities.. The amount will vary depending on the fund balance and the number of awards made. Scholarships are expected to be $250-$500. The amount is determined by the DRE and Youth Ministry Team.
For more information contact:
Marion Hirsch, Director of Lifespan Religious Education
hirsch.communitychurch @ gmail.com